Thursday, May 27, 2010

May's Cooking Demo

My confidence is soaring!!! I mean...I've always loved cooking for my friends and family, and I've never had anyone not like my cooking...but every time I go to do a cooking class, demonstration, or party, I feel like everyone will think I'm a complete fraud.

But, then I pull out all my artillery and set it out on the table or counter, and just pretend I'm at home in my kitchen. One of my favorite things is to have people sitting around my kitchen while I cook for them. Thankfully, tonight, I had some wonderful people show up for my cooking demonstration. They had great questions and were very kind and patient.

Tonight, to start my guests off, I tore up some crusty bread and served it with a small dipping bowl of olive oil, balsamic vinegar & cracked pepper. I prefer tearing my bread when serving it, as opposed to cutting it with a bread knife and making it look perfect. I feel it's more appealing when torn. While they were enjoying the bread that was crusty on the outside and moist on the inside, I grilled out in a beautiful Spring evening that was threatening rain, and actually threw down a few sprinkles. I made plank salmon rubbed with brown sugar, cracked pepper and garlic on half of it and the other half, basted with my new jalapeno infused honey. Under 350° heat, it turned out perfect and juicy! I had some open space on the cedar plank and put some asparagus with sea salt. Next to the plank, I grilled my portobello with sea salt and let it all smoke for about 5 minutes. Then, I drizzled Balsamic Vinegar on the mushrooms and cooked for another 2 minutes. After about 15 minutes total, everything was ready.

I ended the evening with a sweet treat. Mango, strawberry & kiwi cocktails garnished with fresh mango & kiwi. I love to see everyone enjoy good conversation with their friends and people they've just met, good food & drink and beautiful weather. 

The only thing I wasn't able to do was take pictures. SOooo...I'll be doing it again on Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment